Friday 22 February 2013

What if...

What if … we didn't need better jobs; we just needed to make the jobs better by making organizations pay a dignified wage.

What if ...  we had laws to prevent corporations from siphoning the wealth out of our society...

What if ... all of the multinational corporations operating in the Canadian market were required to employ a proportionate number of Canadian citizens.
 

Just imagine what it would be like if ... we had laws that put an employee's dignity back into the private sector?

What if … we stopped thinking in terms of getting more quality jobs on our soil, but, instead, focus on making every job a good job.
 
What if … all companies who employed persons at a rate that was within $5 dollars of the minimum wage were required to offer an RRSP matching program. What if these low wage payers also had to match RESP contributions for minors to ensure our children get access to education and that corporations with reported multi-million dollar earnings were obliged to sponsor child care covering up to %50 of the cost for employees.
What if … corporate tax breaks were contingent or proportionate to the number of employed persons making in excess of $23 per hour creating a win-win-win situation. Win for corporations on tax breaks, win for local government’s ability to recover concessions through income taxes, and win for the people reducing child poverty and old age poverty by enabling our citizens to make a living wage.
 What if… we had a brighter future
 
 


10 comments:

  1. You raise some very important questions. I wish that there were more people that thought this way and didn't just accept the current business model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kayla...this perspective is refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if... We didn't have to ask "What if" because everything was good?

    I'm always so torn ... I'm happy I live in "free" country where I don't have to question my safety on a daily basis - but on the other hand, there is the stark reality that this is false lull which allows my "freedoms" to be taken away from me by corporations and an impotent government.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn, you are very insightful. What I like most is that you are valuing people and a healthy society above private profit-hogging corporations. If corporations are gonna come stay at our house, then they better follow our rules!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely frustrating. Having discussed and debated many of these issues in my undergrad I often felt at a loss and trying to make sense of senseless things. Greed is a scary and deadly attribute and sadly people in the peripheries are often caught in the middle of these never ending wars. I should lend you a book called Confessions of an Economic Hitman. I think you'd enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post. I couldn't agree with you more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said Dawn! What if's can drive you mad though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with what Kayla said, we need more people like you who want to look at these issues and make a real change. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very powerful post, you are a great writer! Like everyone else, I agree, these issues should be considered to make a real change.

    ReplyDelete